Faith Table Weekly Briefing – October 7
Bringing together the national and the local for a sustained progressive faith movement
By Michael Vasquez and Sharon Groves
Many folks in the movement are engaged deeply in the work of combatting Christian Nationalism and forging a pathway for a sustained, inclusive, pluralistic democracy that upholds bodily autonomy as a fundamental cross-communal right, may you be nourished and upheld. All of our Happenings this week tend toward this theme.
- On Friday, October 28th, 2022 at 10:00am, as a part of the the broader Religious Freedom Mobile Institute, the Center for Faith, Justice, and Reconciliation will be having a discussion with a brilliant group of panelists, including Andrea Miller, Elizabeth Platt, Mandisa Thomas and Sabrina Dent about the legal implications when the rights of any particular group are threatened due to religious privilege. You can register for the full Religious Freedom Mobile Institute here.
- SWAJ Live Event: Christian Nationalism and the Future of Democracy — While scholars have drawn attention to the prevalence of White Christian nationalism in the United States, the overturning of Roe v. Wade and other Supreme Court decisions, coupled with Christian supremacist rhetoric from high profile leaders and politicians, has brought the issue of Christian nationalism to the forefront of American politics. Will democracy survive in the USA? What will the next two years look like given the state of our congress and Supreme Court? How has Christian nationalism overtaken such large segments of the American Right?
- Faith in Public Life Ohio, as a part of their broader Democracy Protection work is hosting a webinar on Countering Political Violence on October 11th at 11am ET, in partnership with Project Over Zero and Ohio Voter Rights Coalition.
- The Yale University Institution for Social and Policy Studies hosted a short conference, “White Christian Nationalism & the Midterm Elections” hosted by Philip Gorski, Professor and Chair of the Department of Sociology. You can see the recording of the conference via this link.
- Interfaith Alliance hosted a briefing on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. on the threat of Christian Nationalism. The recording of the briefing is available here, and their resource on Christian Nationalism is available here.
The Pre-Work Podcast invites us into race and sexual equity. With the help of Melvin Bray, Cedric Harmon (Many Voices) and Crystal Cheatham (Our Bible App), Episode 2: Better Than Sex examines the spectrum of human sexuality, beginning with an acknowledgment of our common misunderstandings of sexuality, including the idea that sex is the totality of human sexuality.
The Wisdom & The Work is a podcast that emphasizes the value of privileging the wisdom of Black, Ingenious, People of Color and challenging white people to step up and do the work, in order to move towards racial justice.
REGISTER & ATTEND
The National Council of Jewish Women is hiring for a few new roles, including a Director of Development, Digital Communications Associate, and other incredible positions. Check them out and share with your networks.
Judson Memorial Church on Washington Square in Greenwich Village, NYC, has just posted its call for applicants for senior leadership. All who are interested should apply by November 15, 2022, and please spread the word! This historic congregation has been committed to radical arts, social justice and worship for generations and is ready for the next transformation!
CLIPPINGS & NEWS
- (Sojourners) Bear one another burdens, prevent suicide
- (NETWORK LOBBY) Dark Money Remains Unchecked in U.S. Elections
- (Time) 3 Threats Christian Nationalism Poses to the United States
- (Department of Homeland Security): ANNOUNCEMENT: New Members of Faith-Based Security Advisory Council
- (POLITICO) Most Republicans Support Declaring the United States a Christian Nation
- (Insider) The Christian Nationalist Bootcamp Pushing Anti-Trans Laws Across America
- (Insider) Tasting power is a dangerous thing’: Local church leaders say ‘shrill voices’ in the Christian nationalism movement are taking over school boards and dividing communities”
- (The Trace) As Midterms Loom, Right Wingers Are Revving Up the Faithful with Talk of Religion and Guns”
- (NEWSWEEK) Over 14K Christians Demand Trump’s Truth Social Be Removed by Apple”
- (NBC Opinion) Donald Trump’s bizarre altar call in Ohio
- 🎙️ THE DAILY: The pastors being driven out by Trumpism