Faith Table Weekly Briefing – September 26th
Bringing together the national and the local for a sustained progressive faith movement
By Michael Vasquez and Sharon Groves
Earlier this month, Dayenu: A Jewish Call to Climate Action launched Chutzpah 2022, a 501c(3) non-partisan get-out-the-vote campaign. Most Tuesday and Thursday evenings between now and Election Day, we’ll gather virtually to call low propensity / high potential voters, including Jewish voters, who care about climate and the environment. Each two-hour shift will include phone bank training, Jewish teachings, and live musical performance. And while geared to a Jewish audience, all are welcome! Additionally, we’re planning community-oriented canvassing shifts in Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, some will be hosted with interfaith partners. Please reach out to Dahlia Rockowitz at [email protected] to learn more and/or discuss opportunities for collaboration.
If the past few years have taught us anything it’s that we grow and heal in community. National Council of Jewish Women’s wise and gifted Rabbi in Residence, Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg, has gifted our community- and our world as a whole- a powerful guidebook that could not have come at a better, more auspicious time. We encourage you to purchase your copy (…and one for a friend, and your Rabbi, and your neighbor, and your Senator, and…and…and…) and let the learning and healing begin! Join Rabbi Danya on her book tour for incredible conversations and deep insights surrounding the topics of healing, atonement, and forgiveness.
Mormon Women for Ethical Government is slowly (week by week) releasing our 2022 Voter Engagement materials called “Know Your Vote, Grow Your Vote.” The materials include guides to being a “Principled Voter” and choosing principled leaders.
Faithful America actions this week:
- Tell event venues: Don’t host Franklin Graham’s fall tour
- Tell Steven Curtis Chapman: Stop Doug Mastriano from playing your songs at Christian nationalist rallies
- Call on the USCCB: Condemn Catholic governors’ cruel immigration stunts
Auburn Seminary: The Pre-Work podcast asks the question: What’s the inner work that must be done before we begin to lead our prospective communities towards acts of justice? Over 8 episodes, listeners join in on candid talks with movers and shakers, folks who have committed their lives to seeing racial and queer equity take real footing in our country. Subscribe to the show here: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-bpcyq-12c4f26
For more from Auburn Seminary, check out our Notes From the Field: Summer 2022.
REGISTER & ATTEND
Texting voters in GA, PA, and MI – Interfaith Power & Light is reaching out to faith voters in GA, MI, and PA via text with its 501(c)3 Faith Climate Justice Voter Campaign. Sign up to join a textbank here.
CATHOLICS FOR CHOICE: After the overturning of Roe v. Wade, we can’t let anti-choice Catholic justices sit piously in church without having to account for the untold suffering their decision has unleashed on the bodies and lives of those who need abortion care. That’s why this year, Catholics for Choice will celebrate the “Green Mass” — a public witness to make it clear that we see the church’s crusade and the court’s decision as a terrible injustice. You can find more information below about this event that will be held at 9:00 am on Sunday, October 2, in Washington, D.C. Additional location details will be shared the week before the event for all who RSVP here: https://go.catholicsforchoice.org/a/green-mass-rsvp.
It will also be livestreamed for those who can’t make it in person. We welcome all to this event, including people of all faiths and no faith. The Green Mass is for all who have the desire to be in community together in a safe space outside church walls. Show your support by wearing green! We hope to see you on Sunday, October 2. RSVP for the Green Mass today.
CLIPPINGS & NEWS
- (Sojourners) Bear one another burdens, prevent suicide
- (NETWORK LOBBY) Dark Money Remains Unchecked in U.S. Elections
- (Time) 3 Threats Christian Nationalism Poses to the United States
- (Department of Homeland Security): ANNOUNCEMENT: New Members of Faith-Based Security Advisory Council
- (POLITICO) Most Republicans Support Declaring the United States a Christian Nation
- (Insider) The Christian Nationalist Bootcamp Pushing Anti-Trans Laws Across America
- (Insider) Tasting power is a dangerous thing’: Local church leaders say ‘shrill voices’ in the Christian nationalism movement are taking over school boards and dividing communities”
- (The Trace) As Midterms Loom, Right Wingers Are Revving Up the Faithful with Talk of Religion and Guns”
- (NEWSWEEK) Over 14K Christians Demand Trump’s Truth Social Be Removed by Apple”
- (NBC Opinion) Donald Trump’s bizarre altar call in Ohio
- 🎙️ THE DAILY: The pastors being driven out by Trumpism